A drum and percussion professional with over 35 years of experience and a successful 20-year track record of private and group drum instruction catering to both traditional and special needs students.
Programs Taught or Facilitated:
The Wolf Trap Institute for Early Learning Through the Arts™: an ongoing program that provides innovative arts-based teaching strategies and services to early childhood teachers, caregivers, parents, and their children from 0 to 5 through the disciplines of drama, music, and movement.
Saturday Jam: one-day workshops meant to familiarize existing piano students to drum set rhythms sponsored by Las Vegas Music Teachers Association. Students were taught to play drums to accompany already learned piano music.
Make an Impression Drum Initiative: six-month program designed to reach students who would not otherwise have the opportunity to learn and play a musical instrument sponsored by The International House of Blues Foundation, DW Inc., Pro-Mark Corp., and Sabian. Participants with no prior musical experience were taught drum set basics and guided to the final goal of performing solo on the House of Blues stage in Las Vegas. (Winchester Cultural Center)
Junior Drummer Parent and Child Rhythm Program: six-week program designed to introduce pre-K students to the world of drumming and teach parents to assist their children in learning, sponsored by Clark County Parks and Recreation.
Rockabilly Workshop: one-day drum clinic taught within a Rock ‘n’ Roll Summer Camp scenario designed to introduce rockabilly drum beats and the role of rockabilly in Rock ‘n’ Roll history.
Shake, Rattle, and Roll: weekly hour-long rhythm workshops developed for intellectually and developmentally disabled adults at Transition Services, Henderson, NV. Participants were encouraged to try various rhythm instruments and taught to play rhythmic patterns in unison.
Gentle Drumming: Bi-monthly drum circle facilitated at various geriatric facilities designed to unify and socialize normally isolated senior-aged participants.
Provides drum and percussion individual coaching to traditional students, as well as special needs students (blind, autistic, intellectually disabled, dual diagnosis) covering these essential topics:
- Elements of music: tempo, dynamics, music notation, rhythm, counting
- Sticking: how to hold and use drumsticks
- Fundamental techniques of drumming
- How to play on a drum set
- Basic drum beats: rock, jazz, blues, waltz, and more
- How to write your own drum beats
- Effective practicing techniques
More advanced students:
- How to use brushes
- How to play in the symphonic or concert band
- Learning specific sheet music for school
Has recorded or shared the stage with over 40 major acts including Bo Diddley, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, The Clash, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, Elvis Costello, Delaney & Bonnie and Friends, Tom Waits, Dr. John, Del Shannon, Ricki Lee Jones, Judas Priest, The Cramps, X, Dead Kennedys, John Prine, The Drifters, Sam the Sham, Bobby Day, Black Oak Arkansas, and Rockpile.
Community and service performances include:
- ArtsWest Playhouse production of HAIR (pit band)
- West Seattle Kids Theatre production of Footloose (pit band)
- Provided continued accompaniment to The Mel-o-Dears, a senior’s vocal group
- Played drum set and percussion in the Seattle Civic Band
- Toured with the USO through Japan and Korea, post-Vietnam conflict
Has appeared on over 100 released songs. For a complete list, go to www.allmusic.com , search for Artist/Group - Steve Clark, select “Steve Clark - Pop/Rock - 70s,80s,90s,00”, then select the tab “Credits”
Studied at Dick Grove School of Music (1971-1974), acquired a degree from Los Angeles Valley College (1982), and studied privately with drummers Hank Bellson (Duke Ellington), Jim Chapin (author of Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer), Bernie Dresel (Brian Setzer Orchestra), Daniel Glass (Royal Crown Revue), Richie Lapore (Elvis Presley).
Percussive Arts Society (PAS), Las Vegas Music Teachers Association (MTNA), Vic Firth Private Drum Teacher Program (PDT) www.vicfirth.com/artists/edu.php?letter=C
- Founder of Junior Drummer Music Education (www.JuniorDrummer.com)
- Author and creator of The Junior Drummer Kit
- Participant in Cirque du Soleil® Percussion Ensemble – Sands Expo Convention Center Performance
- Contributing Editor to “The Ultimate History of Rock ‘n’ Roll Drumming,” by Daniel Glass
- Inducted into the Rockabilly Hall of Fame in July 2000
Photo credit: Shaun Hall